May 19, 2014 Leave a comment
Last year at Berlin Buzzwords two Sematext Engineers had the opportunity to give two talks. Radu talked about “JSON Logging with Elasticsearch” (video, slides) and Rafał did the second round of Solr vs Elasticsearch in his talk “Battle of the Giants, round 2” (video, slides). We were also happy to be sponsoring Berlin Buzzwords 2013. This year, we decided to go for a talk where two of us can talk on the same stage, at the same time. On Tuesday, 27th of May, at 11:30, in the Frannz Club Radu and Rafał will be giving a talk called “Side by side with Solr and Elasticsearch“.
Solr – established, mature and well known open-source search server, commonly used. Elasticsearch – still young, but quickly gaining popularity, with over 200k downloads per month. Both search servers are based on Lucene – the open-source full text searching Java library, but each with their own extensions, their pros and cons.
We all know that Solr and Elasticsearch are different, but what those differences are and which solution is the best fit for a particular use case is a frequent question. We will try to make those differences clear, not by showing slides and comparing them, but by showing on online demo of both Elasticsearch and Solr:
- Set up and start both search servers. See what you need to prepare and launch Solr and Elasticsearch.
- Index data right after the server was started using the “schemaless” mode
- Create index structure and modify it using the provided API
- Explore different query use cases
- Scale by adding and removing nodes from the cluster, creating indices and managing shards. See how that affects data indexing and querying.
- Monitor and administer clusters. See what metrics can be seen out of the box, how to get them and what tools can provide you with the graphical view of all the goodies that each search server can provide.
If you want to come, hear about both Solr and Elasticsearch from @sematext and how to achieve similar things, what how they behave and don’t see too many slides, come join us :)